Scott Maderer – Stewardship for leaders
In this episode with Scott Maderer, we talked about the following:
- Stewardship is about the benefit for the wider other.
- Worldview: I need to do something bigger than myself.
- Stewardship, we are the earth’s stewards and need to take care of it for the next generations.
- Sometimes we will have to sacrifice the short term for the long term.
- Stepping back and think about why we are doing this.
- How do we get leaders to think about the long term?
- Goals are not enough to be sticky and sustainable in the long term. The why is about the bigger picture.
- Making decisions based on your why.
- Scott is truly curious about what drives other people. As a leader, it helps you to create a strong team.
- Think of finding your purpose as a journey.
- The airport question is a great way to find your why.
- Repeat the airport question on a yearly basis.
- The time machine vs the obituary question.
- The golden rule vs the platinum rule. I should treat you how you want to be treated.
- What is our role in the larger community?
- Manipulation vs influence.
- As a leader create situations where everyone feels that they got a win.
- Asking questions and listening
- For goals, we often look at the result that we want instead of the inputs that get us there.
- Helping team members to find their why.
- Hire slow, fire slow.
- Stewardship is about leading your life intentionally.
- Instead of life happening to you, you begin to happen to life. It creates better companies and better humans.
- Scott explains why he has multiple packages on coach.me.
- Invest, influence, and impact.
- First Invest in yourself. Second investing in others. If you do this you begin to develop influence. Through that influence, you have an impact.
In 2011, Scott and his wife Carrie took Inspired Stewardship as a business to serve Christian men and couples that are struggling to live out their calling.
They work to help align the way you use your time, your talent, and your treasures so that you can identify and live a fully authentic life that allows you to authentically live your calling, serve others, and provide for your family.
As certified Human Behavior Senior Consultants and members of the John Maxwell Team, they focus on helping you understand yourself, understand others, and through that understanding build the Kingdom. In 2017 they took the business full-time offering assistance through one-on-one coaching, speaking, and workshops.