Cassie Briggs – Supporting the career growth of those you lead
In this episode with Cassi Briggs, we talked about the following:
- focus on career coaching to students and early career professionals in science and medicine.
- Her dream job was to be a college biology professor
- Life circumstances can have a great impact on a career. It is good to keep a good relationship even when an employee leaves their position in your team.
- A conversation with your partner on who changes their career path when you have kids.
- Be fair about the pay gap and look at the data in jour company.
- Create transparency about how much people are being paid.
- The younger generation has a lot more options and can be overwhelmed and fearful of making the wrong decision.
- You need to know the next step and have a vague vision of where the end game is.
- Be transparent about the salary in the job ad.
- As a leader always reply to the people that applied for the job and didn’t get it.
- As a leader be more transparent about the pressure you are under.
- Be compassionate and clear about your feedback.
- Set up a cadence for feedback with our team.
- Ask questions to learn what is going on in their life.
- Ask for the feedback from your leader.
- As a leader, you have to model a healthy work-life balance.
Dr. Cassie Briggs is a biology professor turned career coach. For over a decade, Cassie supported undergraduate students in the classroom using innovative, evidence-based teaching approaches and equipped fellow conservation biologists with research discoverings made using cutting-edge genomic technologies.
Now, as founder and certified career coach at Success in Science Career Coaching, she empowers students and early career professionals in science and medicine through a combination of coaching and consulting approaches to:
- Explore career options and pathways that align with their values, interests, and skills
- Develop an effective job search strategy
- Prepare application documents for internships, professional degree programs, graduate school, and jobs
- Establish a healthy work-life balance throughout their career journey
You can find Cassie Briggs here:
- Podcast: https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/diverseroutes/